Recent Events 2015
• November 11, 2015 - Interview with Radio Europe from Spain for the Dave Hodgson Drive Show on the living and writing of Light Years.
• November 15, 2015-Caroline is interviewed by Sheryl MacKay of CBC Radio's NXNW about her life as a writer and lighthouse keeper. Listen to the interview here.
Past Events 2015
• September 17th, Thursday, CBC Radio On The Island with Gregor Craigie at 8:20 a.m.
• September 17th, Mulberry Bush Bookstore in Parksville, book signing from 2:30-3:30 pm
• September 17th, Courtenay Public Library, slide show and author presentation, 6:30 pm with Laughing Oyster Bookshop on site
• September 20th, Bard & Banker Pub in Victoria, short talk and celebration of Light Years with Munro's Books on site
• September 23rd, Wednesday, 10 a.m.-11 a.m. at Mosaic Books, Kelowna, book signing with shout-out to Peace River ex-pats!
• September 23rd, Nakusp Public Library, 7 pm-slide show presentation and author talk-win exciting prizes by donating to your great community library! Book sales on site. Co-sponsored by the Writers Union of Canada
• September 24th, Nelson Public Library, 7 pm slide show and author talk with book sales on site with Otter Books. Sponsored by the Writers Union of Canada.
• September 25th, Bosun Hall, New Denver, 7 pm slide show and author talk with book sales on site by Raven's Nest and refreshments for sale by the New Denver Library - zany door prizes expected!
• September 27th, 2:30-3:00 pm - WORD on the Street, Vancouver in the Peter Mackay Room of Vancouver Public Library, slide show and author talk, rain or shine indoors!
• September 28, Monday, 7 pm, Book Warehouse on Main, 4118 Main Street, Vancouver-slide show presentation.
• September 30th, Wednesday, 7 pm, Thulin Room of Campbell River's Maritime Heritage Centre - slide show & author talk with lots of time for Q&A afterwards. Book sales by Coho Books
• October 1st, 9:30 a.m., Campbell River Save-On Books Department book signing
• October 1st, Thursday, 12:30-1pm Volume I Bookstore, Duncan, BC - book signing
• October 22nd, Thursday, 1-2 pm, Curious Coho Books, 5039 Johnston Street, Port Alberni- book signing
• October 22nd, Thursday, 7 pm, Char's Landing Library Lounge, Port Alberni with slide show and author talk. Book sales on site.
• October 23rd, 7:30 pm, Tofino Community Theatre, Tofino, slide show and author talk with book sales by Mermaid Tales Bookshop
• October 24th, 7:30 pm, George Fraser Room of Ucluelet Community Centre, slide show and author talk with book sales by Blackberry Cove Marketplace
• October 25th, Sunday, 10 a.m.-12 noon Main Street Gallery and Espresso Bar in the Kayak Shop, Tofino
• November 11 - interview with Dave Hodgson from Talk Radio Europe
• November 13 - interview with Sheila Peters for In The Shadow of the Mountain at Smithers Radio, 93.9
Penny Loves Wade E-book is now available at Amazon, Kobo, and iTunes!
Rocking the Page - Virtual Writers Festival
Caroline worked with student writers in School District #10 recently for Rocking the Page, a Virtual Writers Festival. Her Fear & Imagination workshop, a short film and slide show were conveyed via Blackboard Collaborate to six classrooms in Edgewood, Nakusp and New Denver. She also wrote critiques of poems and stories by student writers from Grade 3 to Grade 10.
Reviews by the People That Really Matter: Grade 3 Kids!
Emailie: I liked the story Singing Away the Dark because it was a true story. I like how she explained about her book.
Sean: I liked Singing Away The Dark because it had a ton of detail.
Emmett: I liked how she showed us the stories she wrote.
Olivier: I liked that she had so many hats.
Sam: I liked the books. I liked all the titles
Hunter: I Like how she made the books; they were really epic
Alyssa: I like how Singing Away The Dark was a true story and it had nice pictures.
Grace: My favorite part was that Caroline was enthusiastic and nice. She wasn't grumpy; she was happy
Past Events 2014
From April 30th to May 2nd, 2014, Caroline presented her Fear & Imagination workshops to children from K-Grade 3 in the following schools and at the 28th annual Vancouver Island Children's Bookfest:
April 30th - Ecole Hammond Bay and
Ecole Pauline Harrar en Nanaimo
May 1st - Woodbank School, Cedar - K-Gr3 classes
May 2nd - Errington School, Errington - K-Gr3 classes
Aspengrove School, Lantzville - K-Gr3 classes
May 3 - Nanaimo Art Gallery - as part of BookFest.
Go to www.BookFest.ca for complete information. Caroline autographed copies of Chanter Dans Le Noir, Singing Away The Dark & The Village of Many Hats.
Penny Loves Wade novel now part of University English course
Penny Loves Wade, Wade Loves Penny is now part of Professor Katharina Rout's Vancouver Island University English 273 class: Ancients and Moderns, or The Odyssey Today. Read more about the course description here.
A Lighthouse Memoir-in-Progress
Read the BCBookLook excerpt from Caroline Woodward's work-in-progress here.
Caroline on CBC Radio's December 21st DNTO Show
December 21st, 2013 Caroline Woodward was a guest of CBC Radio host Sook-Yin Lee on her show Definitely Not the Opera (DNTO). Where Did Your "Pilgrimage" Take You? was the theme of this show. Here is the audio clip of that session where Caroline describes her journey to a special place of spiritual significance.
Caroline on CBC Radio's DNTO Episode Discoveries Made in the Darkness
October 26th, 2013 CBC Radio host Sook-Yin Lee welcomed Caroline Woodward to her show Definitely Not the Opera (DNTO) where Caroline did a spoken piece from her picture book Singing Away the Dark. Here is the audio clip of that session.
Korean and Bulgarian language versions of Singing Away the Dark released!
The Korean language version of Caroline's picture book Singing Away the Dark has been released by Noran Usan/ Tsai Fong Books. The translator is Kim Hyeon Jwa. The book's ISBN is: 978-8963055190. Info about the Bulgarian language edition will be posted when available.
French language version of Singing Away the Dark now released!
The French language version of Caroline's picture book Singing Away the Dark has been released by Les Éditions De La Courte Échelle and is called: Chanter Dans Le Noir. The translator is Fanny Britt and the illustrations are by Julie Morstad, as they were for the English version. The book's ISBN is: 978-2-89695-196-4. Please contact www.courteechelle.com for information and to purchase copies.
Caroline was a writer in residence at Lucerne Elementary-Secondary School in New Denver, B.C. for a week, working with K-12 student writers and also did one day programs at Nakusp Senior Secondary School and at Kanaka Creek Elementary School with Grade 3 classes in Maple Ridge, B.C. She also presented her books to Grade Two students visiting the Emily Carr branch of Victoria Public Library.
At the Mayworks Literary Cabaret in Courtenay, Caroline's story 'Echolalia' received second prize in the People's Choice awards and is now published in WOW: Writing On Work, a chapbook published by the Vancouver Island Mayworks Project Society. 'Echolalia' is one story destined for a future short fiction collection which Caroline has been writing, joining other stories previously published in event magazine, Room of One's Own, and in The FED Anthology published by Anvil Press.
Meet the Author- An Interview with Toni Buzzeo of Library Sparks Magazine
Read the December 2012 interview conducted by Toni Buzzeo,
career media specialist and author
(visit www.tonibuzzeo.com for more about Toni).
Word On The Street 2012
Caroline appeared in the Children's Tent at WOTS in September 2012 and gave away two copies of The Village of Many Hats to several fashionable children in the audience!
Caroline Woodward - December 2011 Long Beach Radio
Caroline read from her book "Singing Away The Dark" during the 4th Annual Hospice Radiothon. Listen here
Winter Story Warms the Heart
By Fran Ashdown, North Shore News, November 30, 2011
Singing Away the Dark resonated deeply with me as it brought back memories of my school days in Prince Rupert.
Instead of trudging down a plank road in the dark to catch a water taxi to school as I did, the girl in this story leaves her home in the winter dark and walks through the fields and woods to meet the school bus. She is young and alone and clearly apprehensive about having to venture forth. The minimalist-style illustrations reveal her anxiety and aptly depict the spooky aspect of the woods and the empty and vast landscape. We are told she is just six years old and, like most children, she is equipped with a very active imagination... Read more: www.nsnews.com/entertainment/
Caroline Woodward - October 2011 CBC Radio Interview
Listen to the October 2nd interview on CBC Radio's North by Northwest program with host Sheryl Mackay and featured guest Caroline Woodward discussing her children's book, Singing Away the Dark.
Singing Away the Dark nominated for the B.C. Chocolate Lily Award, in the Picture Book category.
Singing Away the Dark named as a finalist for the 2011 Marilyn Baillie Picture Book Prize by the Canadian Children's Book Centre!
The award honours excellence in the illustrated picture book format for children ages 3 - 8 years.
Caroline Woodward - 2011 CKUA Radio Network Interview
Listen to the June 5th interview with Caroline Woodward discussing her novel Penny Loves Wade, Wade Loves Penny for Alberta radio network CKUA and their Bookmark Show.